Thursday, February 19, 2009

NASA Picture

Explanation: The Moon, fresh from a biting encounter with the Sun last week, appeared next to threaten Venus. The waxing Moon appeared to glide right past, however, just a few degrees away. Venus, of course, is much further away from the Earth than the Moon, so the passing was really just an angular illusion. Pictured above on June 13, a fading sunset finds the crescent Moon and Venus between clouds and above the city lights of Geneva, Switzerland.

I chose to post this picture because it not only shows distant planets and stars, but also the Earth as we would see it from an airplane. To me, it symbolizes the fact that we truly are just a small part of something way bigger. We've fallen into the belief that the whole universe metaphorically revolves around us, and this can lead us into serious problems. We need to realize that it's not all about me, me, me, but rather that we all have a role to play in our survival and without each other we are doomed. For each organism plays a role in the survival of all the others, and we are just the lucky benefactors.

Bibliography:
Gregory Giuliani. The Moon & Venus Over Geneva. 13 June 2002. Astronomy Picture of the Day. NASA. 19 Feb. 2009 .

2 comments:

  1. Blake, I agree with your assessment of the times in which we live. Sometimes our lack of good stewardship on this planet worries me when I think of us developing colonies on other planets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blake, I also think its really cool that your picture shows the planets and stars as well as Earth. I also think that we can run into serious problems because we think that the universe revolves around us. I also agree with you that each organism plays a role in the survival of others.

    ReplyDelete

Eagles - Hotel California.mp3